Coffee Roast Beef
I know this doesn’t sound like it would be good, but give it a try. It doesn’t taste like coffee at all and only takes a few minutes to prepare.
2 1/2 – 4 lbs. Roast Beef any cut you prefer I use an eye round.
1 large onion
5 cloves of garlic
4 carrots – for the gravy, I make 8-10 and server the rest
3-4 stalks of celery
2 cups of strong coffee – I have used both decaf and regular it doesn’t matter
1/2 cup of oil
- You can make this in a crock pot (slow cooker) or the oven. Set the crock pot to low for 6-8 hours, you can use the high setting also and cook it for 4 hours but it wont be as tender. If you are using the oven pre-heat to 350 degrees and cook for 2-3 hours.
- Pour oil into crock pot or roasting pan.
- Cut onion into thick slices, peel and cut carrots into sticks about half the size of a full carrot, peel garlic cloves.
- Place roast, garlic, onions and carrots in crock pot or roasting pan. Pour coffee over the top.
- Cook roast and baste occasionally if you are around.
- When done cooking I leave the roast in the crock pot on warm while a prepare the gravy. Then I slice it and server it.
- Use the left over juice to make the grave. I put the juice (if there isn’t much left add 1/2 cup of water), carrots, some of half the onion, the celery and some the garlic, any scrapings from the pan in the blender and blend until smooth, if you have a handheld immersion blender it works great I hear.
- Cook in a pot or the roasting dish on the stove top until thick.